Thursday, February 11, 2021

Cambridge Post #1

For this upcoming Cambridge portfolio, I know that I am in for some serious and challenging work. This will be different than any project or blog that I have created thus far. Before, it was mostly talking about simple subjects, like how a type of genre needs to be marketed to consumers, but this is on a whole new level. I will be working on a film opening. If those opening minutes don't hook an audience member in, then you as a director, writer, actor, producer, even a caterer, have failed at your jobs. Even if someone is not a fan of the genre you are basing your film on, a well made film, can make any critic change their mind.

Personally, I am keen to many different genres, which is why picking one to use for my film opening has been such a difficult task. Whether it is Quentin Tarantino directing something as violent as Kill Bill Volume 1, or something as light-hearted and fun as Sam Raimi directing Spider-Man, I am able to find joy in every type of genre. When I do end up choosing the genre that I want to base my opening on, I have to be careful though. I need to make sure that I am not copying, or trying to do an homage to a film based in that genre. Not only because that is not allowed, but because as a creator, I want my work to stand on its own. I do not want what I make to be compared to any other film, because I did not make it for that specific purpose.

I have to say, I am very excited to get started. Obviously there is a lot to figure out before filming begins. I first need to come up with what genre I am going to base my opening on. Then, I need to figure out whether or not anyone will be working with me or not. If someone will be, will we be able to agree on the genre? Will I have to make a compromise? Will I be the editor of the project or will my possible partner be able to help? I have all these questions and many more racing through my mind right now. It may get complicated, but if I start to figure out the basic things soon, then I think that the pieces will start to move to the right places. I will just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge Blog Post #25

 Below is the link for my film opening project. A lot of time and effort went into creating this. I really hope you all enjoy. https://youtu...